What to visit in Trinidad

In Trinidad there is a lot of architecture to enjoy. Rich in culture and tradition, it offers the visitor museums, squares and small squares. You'll encounter plenty of local handicrafts just by walking its streets. On them you can find numerous architectural works like houses and religious or public buildings from colonial times. In addition to all these, there are other elements such as the urban design, public spaces and its cobblestone streets, which emphasize its unique atmosphere.

The decorations of its houses and streets are amazing. During the daytime the sun highlights the details and the coloring of the facades together with the very elaborate manner in which iron and wood are blended into the well-finished heritage.

At night, the large doors and windows open to expose well-lit interiors of rooms and living rooms restored in exquisite colonial style. It is really like being into an open-air museum. In its Historical Center, Trinidad brings together almost everything the visitor needs to visit in this gorgeous city. Right below we present a list of the best Trinidad landmarks:

Major Square

Plaza Mayor Trinidad CubaCristo, Real del Jigüe and Desengaño Streets. This has always existed as an open space since the foundation of the town, becoming more outstanding with the construction of the Iglesia Parroquial Mayor (Major Parish Church). From the beginning of the 18th century some of the wealthiest local families built their mansions in this part of town. In 1857 it was inaugurated with its present appearance. See location

Borrell Palace

18 Media Luna Street. Built between 1805 and 1820, then subsequently remodeled. José Mariano Borrell, a landowner with the Marquis of Guáimaro title, entrusted Italian paintor Daniel Dal´Aglio y Graude with the task of decorating thepalace with murals. Nowadays it is the Office of the Curator of the City of Trinidad and the Valle de los Ingenios (Valley of Sugarmills). See location

Iznaga Palace

406 Desengaño Street. From the beginning of the 19th century. Aristocratic two-story large family house admired by everybody who visits the city. Until the end of the 20th century it was always owned by a member of the Iznaga family. See location

Brunet Palace. (Romantic Museum)

Museo Romantico Trinidad Cuba 52 Cristo Street. Dates from the first half of the 19th century with elements of a previous construction belonging to the 18th century. It is one of the most beautiful museums in the city re-creating the atmosphere of an old colonial residence. It is home to an important collection of furniture and decorative arts from the 18th and 19th centuries. See location

Cantero Palace (Museum of History)

On the corner of Desengaño and Peña Streets. Around 1830. It has large rooms decorated with murals and a watchtower with two levels. It used to be the property of Trinitarian landowners, among them Justo German Cantero, the name by which the palace is known. The museum displays historical documents and artefacts of the town. See location

Ortiz House (Art gallery and restaurant).

Real del Jigüe and Desengaño Streets. 1800 to 1809. A two-story large house which became the symbol of Trinidad's economical splendor during the first half of the 19th century. Now it houses an Art Galery and a restaurant. See location

Holy Trinity Major Parish Church

Parroquia Santisima Trinidad Cuba At the Plaza Mayor Square. It was constructed in stages in the 19th century in the same place where the previous 18th-century church was erected. With a neoclassical facade in transition to eclecticism, the temple treasures a valuable collection of religious images from the 18th century. See location

Plazuela del Jigüe (Small Square del Jigüe)

Calle de la Boca and Real del Jigüe Streets, Historical Center. Tradition situates in this place the first mass officiated at in town, in December of 1513. The buildings surrounding it belong to the 18th and 19th centuries. See location

and a well. Today it can be admired, a peculiar shower imported from the United States in 1890. The museum is dedicated to the Trinitarian architecture through its five centuries of history. See location

Taberna La Canchánchara (Tavern)

60 Real del Jigüe Street. It is one of the oldest buildings which still survives in the town, presumably from the first half of the 18th century. Here you can have the popular local drink known by the name of “canchánchara”, made with sugar-cane rum, honey and lemon juice. (alcoholic beverage made from distilled sugar-cane juice) See location

House at 93 Real del Jigüe

First half of the 18th century. José Iznaga y Borrell, co-creator of the national flag, was born in this house on April 18th of 1793. See location

Padrón House (Guamuhaya Museum of Archaeology)

Museo Arqueologia Guamuhaya Trinidad Cuba83 Desengaño Street. First half of the 18th century with several remodelings. The museum, founded in 1976, has rooms dedicated to aboriginal communities which used to live in the central and south region of Cuba in the pre-Columbian period, and to archaeological vestiges from colonial times, of the city and nearby valleys. See location

Plaza de las Tres Cruces (Square of the Three Crosses)

San Antonio, Real del Jigüe and Amargura Streets, Historical Center. During the Holy Week, this square marks the end of the Vía Crucis.

Conspirators’ House

32 – 38 Cristo Street. Dating from the early 18th century, and rebuilt subsequently. The members of the conspiracy of La Mina de la Rosa Cubana (Mine of the Cuban Rose) used to meet here in 1848. See location

Baron of Humboldt’s House

House at 63 Cristo Street 18th century. Place where the baron of Humboldt stayed during his visit to Trinidad in 1801.

Casa de las Sánchez Iznaga (House)(Museum of Colonial Architecture)

Museo Arquitectura Colonial TrinidadAt the Plaza Mayor Square. Two houses in one built at different times of the 18th century, maintaining the same facade since 1886. It has a beautiful patio with ancient clay plant pots, a sundial in bronze and a well. Today it can be admired, and includes a very peculiar shower imported from the United States in 1890. The museum is dedicated to the Trinitarian architecture through its five centuries of history. See location

Segarte Small Square

Cañada, Alameda and Amargura Streets. A few meters from the Plaza Mayor (Major Square), surrounded by gorgeous houses of the 18th century. See location

House of la Trova 

29 Cristo Street. Building from the end of the 18th century. The House of la Trova promotes the diffusion of traditional Trova music. See location

Palenque of the Royal Congos (palenque stands for: a fenced-in place)

Without number Fernando Hernández Echerry Street. Headquarters of Trinidad’s Folkloric Ballet, which offers the most genuine of the ancient African traditions first brought to Cuba by slaves in the 16th century. See location

Museum of the Struggle Against Bandits (former San Francisco de Asís Convent)

Museo lucha contra bandidos Trinidad CubaOn the corner of Cristo and Boca Streets. The convent was inaugurated in 1813. From its bell tower you have a nice view of the city. The museum, which is housed in a part of the original building which has been partially demolished, has as a theme of the struggle of the growing revolutionary power, starting in 1960, against groups which rose up in arms in the mountainous region of the Escambray (mountain range).